In tribute to the late Sir Richard Rodney Bennett, Sospiro Records has released an EP of Richard and John Harle with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Never before heard, this compilation is from an unreleased album, and we are grateful to Nigel Davies of Davenport Lyons for his assistance with this project.
Featuring Richard on Piano and John on saxophone, these luxuriant and swinging arrangements by Richard also feature the flugelhorn of Henry Lowther (Gil Evans, Charlie Watts Orchestras) and the harmonica of Paul Jones (Manfred Mann, The Blues Band).
Available as download only, each purchase includes a donation to The Musicians Benevolent Fund in memory of Richard.
A few months before his death, John interviewed Richard about the forthcoming release of these tracks on Sospiro Records.
This interview turned out to be the last that Richard gave, and is a touching (and humorous) tribute to one of the towering figures in music of the last fifty years. The interview can be read at www.theartsdesk.com.
With Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
1) Round Midnight (Monk Arr. R.R. Bennett) 5’10” (Solo Flugelhorn - Henry Lowther)
2) I'll Remember April (de Paul Arr. R.R. Bennett) 2’53”
3) Lush Life (Strayhorn Arr. R.R. Bennett) 5’37”
4) Taxi Driver (Herrmann Arr. R.R. Bennett) 4’53” (Solo Harmonica - Paul Jones)
5) Anyone Home? (Bennett Arr. R.R. Bennett) 4’09”
Saxophone and Piano Duo
6) Samba Triste (Bennett) 3’19”
7) In a Sentimental Mood (Ellington Arr. R.R. Bennett/J. Harle) 3’10”